Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Stick A Fork In Me...

     Currently Kansas City is on its third straight week of a heat wave. And by that, I mean the temperature appears to sit at 107 degrees every single day. There was one day--a Sunday--whose first half only made it up to 85, and that was a welcome break...until noon, when the heat cranked right back up again. This was what I had to look at while making dinner this evening:
     Despite what the clock says (anyone know how to reset these things??) it was actually 10 minutes till 6 p.m., and only a few minutes before, the temperature had read 108.5. I'm sorry, but in my book that means it's 109 stinkin' degrees outside and way too hot for anything...except this:
     Wow, this was good! I found the prettiest little seedless watermelon at the grocery store this afternoon. Nothing in the world seemed as appealing as watermelon with the temperature the way it is. And may I just say??--YUMMY! It hit the spot. I'm amazed that I chose such a perfect melon, because I honestly don't know what I'm doing in that department. I remember my grandpa knocking on melons and listening to their tone when I was a kid but I don't think I've perfected his method.  I did manage to gross out Mr. Wonderful a little bit because apparently here in the midwest they don't put salt on their watermelon...but I do. :) It is, in fact, the only thing I ever salt, as I am somewhat turned off by the white grainy substance most of the time. The fun part was when Mr. Wonderful and I, watermelon juice running down our chins (and in my case, my arm!) shared a big sloppy watermelon kiss right there in the kitchen.
     Having taken in two big slabs of watermelon, I felt better, but am still discouraged by this heat. Yesterday I was running errands and the heat really got to me. I came home and was dragging around the house trying to accomplish some things when I sporadically burst into tears--really over nothing. Totally the heat. So these days I have to plan any errands or activities around the highest temperatures of the day, if possible. But it doesn't leave me much time--it's still in the 90's when I go to bed at night! We've stocked our freezer with Edy's Real Fruit Bars (these are fantastic--try the coconut) for weeks now, too. Those seem to cool me down--but only for the 5 minutes it takes me to eat one. 

Tell me: What's your favorite way to beat the heat?

1 comment:

  1. hey megan...I started another blog...a personal one... katsrepurposedlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete