Saturday, July 16, 2011

Date Night and Grand Opening

     Friday nights tend to be our date night. I'm not really sure how that came about, it just...evolved. It may have begun when a couple of weeks in a row our week's worth of groceries we always buy ran out by Friday, now that I think of it, and that definitely applied last night. The fridge is lookin' pret-ty bare about now!

     One of our old favorites that we hadn't visited in a really long time is Ricco's.
     You'd never really suppose that this little Italian spot tucked away in an obscure shopping center could be so fantastic! But trust me--it's mouth-watering! I really love the ambience as well--dimly lit, nice classics playing overhead (think Frank Sinatra) and another plus--my brother-in-law works there! Always nice to see a friendly familiar face! And thanks to Brandon, I was treated to tiramisu for dessert--and had never even communicated to him that tiramisu is one of my all-time favorites! By the time we were finished I was so full I had trouble navigating my way out to the car...but a nice pedestrian offered to snap our photo on our way out, and I was happy to oblige. A little blurry, I thought, and wondered if it was due to anything he may have consumed earlier...hmm...(thank you to my friend Leslie for the gift of the shirt I'm wearing!)

     I would love to show you detailed pics of what we ordered....had we not swallowed it down so quickly that we didn't once pull out the camera. Suffice it to say, my mushroom risotto with truffle oil, shrimp and parmesan was to die for. So much so that I couldn't ignore the leftovers this morning, and had it for breakfast:

    It might not look like much, but these leftovers went the way the rest of the risotto went the night before...quickly!
    After gobbling up breakfast, I had a couple of things on my agenda. For one, when I'd begun to get ready to go out last night, I realized that it's official--not one single pair of my shoes will now go on my feet. So I wanted to run out and buy a pair of sandals (my feet are so swollen I'm temporarily up TWO SIZES in footwear), get a spray tan and I wanted to check out Kansas City's new arrival:
That's right--we finally got a Trader Joe's! Two of them, technically, the other one being located about 20 minutes south of us in the 'burbs. (I avoid spending much time in the suburbs--not really my cup of tea). The grand opening was yesterday, and according to the media, there were people camped out at 3:00 a.m. Friday morning just to be some of the first to walk through the doors. Now that's dedication. It is, after all--a grocery store. But, I digress. Check out the madness I found inside:
     Those first two pics? Those were just the checkout lines. Un-believable. But I took a good look around, and I'll give you a great example of why I will be back. Not until the newness and craziness has worn off a little, but I will come back, for things like this:
     I am always drawn to the more unusual food finds out there, and this was no exception. Not to say that Lemon & Triple Ginger Snap is going to become my favorite ice cream flavor of all time...but since it's new and different, I cannot wait to try it! In about a month, when the lines to check out are much, much shorter...

So, tell me: Were you ever so excited for an event that you camped out on site for hours beforehand?

No comments:

Post a Comment