Saturday, July 2, 2011

Up and At 'Em

This morning I managed to get Mr. Wonderful to go from this:
To this:
And all it took was the promise of breakfast...if he came with me to the Overland Park Farmer's Market. I almost snatched frozen waffles out of his mouth on our way out the door because I was convinced we'd find something amazing for breakfast at the market....wrong. SO wrong. All we found was this:
I'd like to point out that this medium-sized blueberry muffin was in fact quite good...but my hunger won out and I found myself paying $3.00 for one measly muffin...which I scarfed down with gusto.
Which left me thinking: At what point does a person's desire for something win out against their ongoing goal to be smart financially? This morning I walked away with a bad feeling it was Muffin--1, Megan--0.
After knocking the crumbs off my ever-increasing-in-size baby bump, I waddled headed toward the Farmer's Market next door. I used to adore coming to this Farmer's Market. Fresh bread, a pasta stand and live bands on Saturday mornings of all kinds. This morning the "band" was just setting up...
...and appeared to be a Calypso blues band--new one on me! The heat is almost unbearable here the past couple of days so rather than wait around to hear what a Calypso blues band might sound like, we pressed on...and I found myself wishing I were a kid again--what a way to beat the heat!
                                          These little ones have the right idea.
When the entrance to the Market came into view, it took my breath away. It was PACKED. The holiday weekend must've put produce on the brain of the locals because there was hardly room to breathe.
That dark mass you see under the roof of the market is people. Crammed in like sardines. As difficult as it was to move, breathe or think, we left empty-handed, and all we could think about was air-conditioning and lemonade. But I did manage to capture just one shot of what keeps bringing me back to markets such as these...
Aren't they beautiful? It must be all the color that pulls me in most weekends. Everything looks so fresh and so...summery. I also saw some blue hydrangeas (my favorite) that I would've loved to take home to live with me. Hydrangeas seem to scream old southern elegance to me, which gets me every time. But sadly, every green thing I ever own slowly turns brown...and then dies. Which is why I have become a window-shopping plant lover. I can look, but it's best for the plant if I don't touch. It's so puzzling to me! I can raise a healthy, strong-willed Siamese cat for over 10 years but if I look too long at a plant it withers!

So, tell me: Anyone else have a gift for caring for pets but no luck in the plants department?

No comments:

Post a Comment