Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Kitchen's Secret Weapon

     I like to talk to cooks. Women and men who enjoy spending time in the kitchen, and know how to get the job done. That being said, there's a kitchen appliance I've noticed that doesn't get discussed much...or ever.
     When I was growing up, it was super-common for me to hear the hiss and rattle-rattle-rattle of one of these guys about half of the nights in a week:
    That's right--a pressure cooker. Seems like these things are almost controversial! People seem to be afraid they are going to blow up right before their eyes! Not so, my friends! If used correctly, these things are a noisy little Godsend. It cuts cooking time by almost half in a lot of cases. Chicken, pork, roast beef or pot roast, potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans and all sorts of other veggies. If I didn't rely on this pressure cooker (gift from my Dad--thanks a lot, Dad!) I'd be spending twice the amount of time in the kitchen that I do. Last night it was 3 lbs. of red potatoes I used to make the yummiest whipped potatoes. A little decent amount of butter, milk, salt, pepper and...drum roll...Light Cream Cheese. Please give this a whirl--sooo much better for you than sour cream and just as tasty. Also--I leave the skins on my potatoes--the skins are the most nutritious part, after all!

     Speaking of controversy in the kitchen, the other third of the meal was homemade meatloaf. Here's a shot of it going in the oven...
   I was definitely going for an "All-American" meal last night, but I have to say, you don't really run into too many people, particularly of my generation, that care for meatloaf very much, and my conclusion is this: They've just been eating bad meatloaf. What else could it be? We all like burgers, don't we? Mine is just a well-seasoned burger that you slice. And it definitely meets my criteria for leftovers the next day. In fact, I could swear it's better on Day 2 than when I originally make it. My best recommendation? Do NOT put milk in your meatloaf! It dries it out, contrary to popular belief.

   Enough Susie Homemaker for the day. :) I have to report that I got up this morning to go to Physical Therapy, which has been amazing for me, and truly helped the physical issues I've been having with pregnancy. The main one being that my darling little boy grew so much so quickly that my body didn't have time to adjust, and my pelvis/sacrum twisted. Ouch doesn't even begin to cover it. It was painfully immobilizing for about 2 weeks. Mr. Wonderful had to put my underwear and pants on for me, and all I could do was lie on my left side. No fun. Except my sedentary state really excited this guy, as he was able to get in lots of extra snuggle time:
                                      He loved it when I'd break out movies on the iPad.


     So I got up to go to PT, got in the car, inserted the key and....sputter-sputter-sputter, nothing. And again. And again. And finally, the car started (with the help of my foot rapidly pumping the accelerator) but was accompanied by enormous clouds of blue-gray smoke pouring out the exhaust. I took it 2 blocks around our neighborhood and it died on me three times. That did not instill the confidence one would need to take a car out on the interstate. So sadly, no PT for me this morning. I plan to do my own PT/pre-natal workout later this afternoon. I'm so hopeful that we can come up with a good temporary solution until we can replace the car! Cross your fingers for me, Oz readers!

So, tell me: Any applicance(s) you use in the kitchen whose value you feel others are unaware of?

No comments:

Post a Comment