Monday, July 11, 2011

A Lesson Learned and Cheering Yourself Up

     You know that question so often asked in job interviews..."What are you looking for in a position?" or "What makes a work day a good day for you?" Well, for as long as I can remember, the answer to that question for me has been "To go home at the end of each day feeling like I accomplished something...to be productive."

     I learned today for the first time in my adult life that feeling like I mowed through my To-Do List isn't necessarily going to bring me the happiness I thought it would. Somewhere around early afternoon (don't judge--my day started early!) I began to lose steam. Then little things began to bother me. Then I had to deal with an incredibly rude total stranger on the phone on a very important issue (one I'm not too familiar with). In the end it didn't matter that I had confidently crossed through (and check-marked) everything on my list for the day. I was still irritated and a little bummed out.

     My solution? Look through photos. I read about this little method months ago and it works. Technically, the article I read was on getting over being irritated with your husband by looking at wedding photos, but I found it works with any photos of the good times in your life. So after dinner this evening, I went through the following series:

Mr. Wonderful and I at our dear friend Stephanie's wedding...
The two of us at The Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC,pretending the statue is our Siamese cat, Ming...
Picking apples at Vaughn's Apple Orchard in Weston, MO...I didn't get the "act goofy" memo...
Ice skating at Crown Center in downtown Kansas City...his 1st time...he was great...I kept falling!
            All dressed up for New Year's Eve...had no idea I was pregnant in this picture!
     
     After just a handful of these pictures I felt immensely better. I'm so blessed, after all! Great husband, family, friends, and these guys:
                           Our little Christmas elves...1 good, 1 not-so-much...

So, tell me: What are your tried-and-true methods to get yourself out of a funk when your ruby slippers malfunction?

2 comments:

  1. I drink :)! Nah - I actually pull out the wedding album too OR I go to a movie to get away from reality long enough to make me forget about the mess going on in my life. People wonder why I am there all the time - it works in keeping me calm and puts me in a happier place. - Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally pulled the movies move 2 weeks ago! Saw "Super 8" by myself, and loved it! I have a couple more months till I can have my wine again. :(

    ReplyDelete