Saturday, July 9, 2011

Westport Food Truck Festival

     At a little after 7 last night, Mr. Wonderful and I headed over to the Westport Food Festival. Westport's a fairly historic part of Kansas City. I do know that a fairly significant Civil War battle was fought there, but now it consists mostly of...well, bars. But, back to the festival:

I do have to say, the award for best name goes to:

     The festival really did appear to have every variety of food imaginable. Meditteranean, italian, baked goods...the list goes on. Sponsored (in part) by Boulevard Brewery (honestly, folks--great beer! Give Boulevard Wheat a try, and add an orange slice!) there was understandably plenty of beer floating around, but my interest was food (of course!) Here are the trucks I came across as Mr. Wonderful and I toured the perimeter:
                                            Mexican...
                                                Meditteranean...The Jerusalem Cafe is a great restaurant in the city...
                                                        American...
                                                  And coffee! The Roasterie's truck--a KC local favorite...the aroma was killer...


This place was packed. The line to get in stretched further than I could see. And once we were inside....well, WOW:

And these were shots of only half the festival-goers that already had their food. The lines to each truck weren't any too short either! There were also a few arts-and-crafts vendors. Nothing really caught my eye, however, until this guy:
Yes, he is walking on broken glass. No, I don't understand it, but you know me--I am drawn to weirdness! :) It was difficult to look away, but when my stomach (or was it Junior?) reminded me that I hadn't had dinner yet, I was forced to keep walking.

Surprisingly, we didn't eat at the festival. The longer I was there, all the smells and aromas started to meld together and before I knew it, I found myself down the street at an Indian restaurant we both officially adore: Korma Sutra. SO yummy! And truly a dining experience worth having. There are all these little amazing "extras" as Mr. Wonderful called them, that are unexpected and wholly welcome! You're seated for about a minute, for example, before they are bringing you an amuse bouche--a fritter on a stick. It lasted about 10 seconds. :) And then this gorgeous gastronomical feat shows up:
Each of these is used on crispy, unleavened bread, very thin, like a chip. Each of them are literally bursting with flavor! I'm particularly partial to...well, all of them!
But dinner honesty stole the show. We ordered garlic naan and Butter Chicken (the leftovers of which I will be devouring sometime around noon today!) This Butter Chicken was ah-mazing. The best Indian dish I've ever ordered anywhere:
    This was our second time at Korma Sutra, and we already can't wait to go back! If you're in the Westport neighborhood and happen to be hungry, I promise you Korma Sutra will hit the spot!

So, tell me: What's your favorite ethnic restaurant?

4 comments:

  1. I love Indian food! We have a place called The Sitaar that seems to have a similar menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm in Huntsville...I'm going to request that we all go to The Sitaar for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE indian, mexican, japanese, thai, and caribbean (sp?) food. We have an AWESOME Indian place in Charlotte - Blue Taj! We will have to go next time you are here and when we come to Kansas City - I would love to go to Korma Sutra! - Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont have any of those accounts listed - so I will be anonymous! Which is Teresa in Charlotte :)!

    ReplyDelete