Monday, July 11, 2011

Weighing...It's Not Just For Scales!

     A relative of mine is currently going through a tough time job-wise. From her descriptions of her job...wow. I'd be unhappy too. It brings to mind something that a manager once told me about working--that you should always weigh your pros and cons, even if you have to do it on a daily basis. When the cons start consistently outweighing the pros...it might be time to move on. As difficult as that can be in this economy, sometimes you just gotta make it happen.

     Another place I found myself "weighing" this morning involved grocery shopping. I have found that I truly can save a few bucks if I shop at a couple of different grocery stores rather than cross off my list at just one. If I pick up dry goods at a discount store first, I can fill a huge paper bag stuffed full with items for only about $15.00. By picking up the rest of the things on my list at another location, I can buy a week's worth of groceries for $64.00, as I did today. And we aren't the type to make a sandwich for dinner--I actually really cook full meals. Meat, veggie, starch, etc. This also includes any household or toiletry items. So I was proud of myself but then wondered about the time I took to drive around hunting all these things down--and weighed it. So far, I'm thinking it's worth it! I plan to do it again next week.

                                     Anything unhealthy you see here is not mine!

     I found myself weighing something yet again immediately after my grocery run. After comparison-shopping and investigating gliders/rockers etc. at just about every store imaginable, I realized I was never going to be happy with the modern-day glider that you see everywhere. It just isn't me. So, since the dresser/changing table we bought (really a gift from my Dad) for Junior is such an antique, and his crib, although new, looks like an antique, I settled on an antique rocking chair I found for only $49.00. It's in great condition. The only thing is, it needs cushions. Thick, upholstered cushions. So although I found a terrific deal on the perfect rocker...I now know it's going to cost over $200 to get cushions made for it. One reason being--gas prices. Who would've thought? The foam used in the cushions has petroleum in it. So while the grocery weighing was fairly open and shut, I'm still weighing the cushions issue....
In fact, the only place I haven't weighed today is my bathroom scale...because I don't wanna know!!!

So, tell me: Should I go for the cushions? The chair has to have cushions, and ready-made ones won't work...

2 comments:

  1. Tough call - would it be cheaper to buy a finished rocker? Im not familiar with the cost of nursery stuff. If it is cheaper to buy a finished rocker - go with that. If it is cheaper to do the cushion (and, it will make you happy to keep it) - go for it!! Although, my husband would say I have issues with managing money - I may not be the best person to take advice from:)! - Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent the better part of the early evening researching online discount upholstery fabric and upholstery foam! What did we do before the internet?? I vaguely remember those days...
    Hoping I can still pull this off, but MUCH cheaper! I get so attached to my antiques! (Yes, I am really only 32!) ha!

    ReplyDelete