Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rounding Up the Puzzle Pieces

     I have decided that, even though we aren't decorating Junior's first room full-on like we will when we move, getting everything together for a nursery is exactly like working on a jigsaw puzzle. Especially if you go the route we are, which does not involve a cookie cutter Pottery Barn Kids layout. I had decided, after initially registering for everything Pottery Barn, that since I wanted a vintage Peter Rabbit look, that the furniture should be vintage as well. Here we are a few months later, and the only new thing in Junior's room is the crib. But it looks vintage.
The only thing I knew when I started the process was that I wanted an iron crib. These just spoke to me. What they said usually was "I know we're nowhere near your price range but don't you just love us??" One of the major reasons I love this crib? There is no flat ledge around the edge to help this guy jump into it...
He may look docile here (stretched out on Mr. Wonderful's legs) but he is possibly the most active cat I've ever known. He is always busy doing something.
     So having got the crib sorted out, thanks to Granddad (my dad), we were on to the dresser/changing table.
I estimate this dresser to be from the 1890's to the early 1900's. See the knobs? Here's a close-up:
Obviously these didn't come with the dresser...I'll say it again--eBay is a vast wealth of all things Peter Rabbit!
     Then we added the rocker, and today, my friends, was the day I finally found the material to have cushions made for it...for less than half the original cost I thought I'd be paying. Score! It's a solid blue, the color of Peter Rabbit's jacket, and the cushions will incorporate white grosgrain ribbon ties at the top and base of the chair. I'm hopeful they'll be done by the time Junior arrives but according to the estimate on the invoice, baby and cushions are currently neck and neck!
     Since I am not revealing Junior's real name until after he gets here (for those of you I haven't blabbed to already), I am dying to show you the clock we're going to hang over the bookcase we have yet to purchase...but can't, as it has his name printed on the face of the clock (a Peter Rabbit clock, of course). Today I purchased a metal floor lamp from the 1940's (the second newest thing going into the temporary nursery) but I intend to paint it green and maybe stencil it before it makes its debut on The Oz Search.
We're down to a table, rug and bookcase! (I dread the rug--they're priiiiiceeeey!)
     So far, an antique mall here in town has outfitted our entire nursery (except for the crib). I can't say enough good things about this place:
Nellie & Nicco's. They have the good stuff--truly. You don't have to dig, you don't have to view items with one eye closed in the hopes that improves their appearance--these are really great finds. The people there are super helpful (and delivery is cheap!) I'll be hitting this place up for years to come--they are just my style!

So, tell me: When you decorate a room or maybe even your entire home, do you have a go-to shop to pick up the necessities?

No comments:

Post a Comment